Makes approximately 20 balls
Many dogs have food intolerances and allergies to chicken, so turkey is an excellent option for these pets. Sweet potato has long been regarded as a superfood and in particular provides high levels of vitamin A, great for night vision. Sweet potato also has a low glycaemic index and adds a slightly sweet flavour to food. These balls are ideal as an accompaniment to your dog’s regular diet. On their own they are not a complete balanced food, but they provide the recommended ratio of protein, carbohydrates and fats. Serve up 3-5 balls with your dog’s regular food for some tasty variety. You can also experiment with other meats and vegetables.
500g lean turkey mince
1 medium sweet potato
250g frozen peas, thawed
1 Tbsp olive oil
Steamer, baking tray and oven
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Peel and slice sweet potato into 1cm rounds and steam for 7 minutes.
- Mash the sweet potato, then mix in remaining ingredients.
- Roll mixture into small balls, a little smaller than golf balls.
- Place balls onto a baking tray, sprayed with non-stick oil.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes or until cooked through.
- Freeze in small portions and reheat until steamy. Allow to cool before serving.