Sunday, May 19, 2024
HomeDear VetBabbleIs it Dangerous if My German Shepherd Licked Paint?

Is it Dangerous if My German Shepherd Licked Paint?


Dear VetBabble: My German Shepherd licked some paint – should I be worried?

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out! You mentioned that your 6-year-old German Shepherd recently licked some Behr wall paint, and you’re concerned about the potential risks. It’s great to hear that you’ve already done some research and learned that Behr paint does not contain lead pigment, which makes the product considerably safer for your furry friend. However, there may still be some mild gastrointestinal (GI) upset possible for your dog, so let’s discuss what to look for and how to handle the situation.

Signs of gastrointestinal upset

As you mentioned, your dog may experience some mild gastrointestinal disturbance following ingestion of the paint. Symptoms can include vomiting, diarrhea, and lethargy. If your dog does exhibit any of these signs, it’s essential to closely monitor their condition and take action if needed. It is crucial to be aware of the symptoms of more serious ingestion of foreign bodies or toxic substances, such as chocolate toxicity, which require immediate attention and intervention.

Home remedy for mild GI upset

If your dog shows mild symptoms of GI upset, such as occasional vomiting, you can try a home remedy to help settle their stomach. Begin by withholding food for 12-24 hours to give their digestive system a break. Afterward, feed them a bland diet consisting of boiled white meat chicken (without bones) and white rice, divided into small portions and served several times a day for a couple of days. This gentle food will provide nourishment while allowing their digestive system to recover.

Once your dog’s condition improves, gradually reintroduce their regular diet over a few days, mixing increasing amounts of their normal food with the bland chicken and rice mixture. This will help prevent further stomach upset as they transition back to their usual kibble.

When to seek veterinary attention

If your dog’s symptoms do not improve with the home remedy, or if they worsen, it’s time to consult a veterinarian. Indications that your pet requires professional care include continued vomiting even without food, vomiting the bland diet, developing diarrhea, refusing to drink water, vomiting water, or becoming extremely lethargic. In these cases, don’t hesitate to seek help from your vet, as these symptoms may point toward a more severe issue. For more information on vomiting in dogs, read this article about vomiting in dogs: causes, treatment & when to worry.

If you ever suspect that your pet has ingested something they shouldn’t have, don’t wait to take action. Check out this helpful guide for pet owners on what to do if your dog has eaten something they shouldn’t have.

Remember, keeping a close eye on your pet’s condition and reacting quickly to any concerning symptoms will always be in their best interest. We hope this helps, and we wish your German Shepherd a quick recovery!

Popular Categories

Dog Care

Explore advice on health, training, feeding, grooming, and exercising your canine companion. In return, your...
dog clicker

Dog Training

Dogs have an amazing capacity for learning. Discover why your dog acts the way they...

Cat Care

Each cat has a unique personality with individual needs. Our tips and advice offer help...
iguana walking


Reptile's require a habitat and diet that is right for them. Explore our care...
Guinea Pig Shopping

Small Pets

Small Pet Care Are you looking for a small pet for your space challenged home? We...


Enjoy the benefits of a feathered friend who is happy, healthy and content. If you own...

Popular Advice