Dear VetBabble: Concerns about Dogs Ingesting Foreign Objects
Question: My Dog Ate Small Pieces of a Tennis Ball and Hasn’t Had a Bowel Movement, What Should I Do?
Whenever we hear about a beloved pet, like a dog, consuming something it shouldn’t, it’s naturally a cause for concern. In this scenario, where your dog may have eaten parts of a tennis ball, it’s absolutely critical to closely monitor its health and signs of potential distress. Here’s a general approach to assist you in such a situation:
1. Immediate Observation and Action
Initially, keep a close eye on your dog’s behavior. Is she maintaining her water and food intake? If she shows signs of vomiting, this could be due to a possible blockage in her system, as mentioned in our article: “Vomiting in Dogs: Causes, Treatment & When to Worry“. If your fur baby begins to vomit, it would be crucial to take her to your local emergency vet without delay.
2. Monitoring for Other Signs of Distress
Continued whimpering or changes in behavior may also indicate some discomfort or distress. How is her overall mood? Is she playful as usual or has she become lethargic? A change in bowel movements, such as absence of feces or development of diarrhea, can also be an indicator of a problem. Seek guidance from our “Diarrhea in Dogs: When to Worry” piece for more understanding.
Regardless of the symptoms, if your pet continues to show signs of distress 48 hours after the incident, a visit to your vet is certainly in order. It could be that pieces of the tennis ball are causing discomfort as they move through her digestive system, or worst-case scenario, causing a blockage.
3. Precautions for the Future
Though our furry friends are usually endearing in their tendency to explore the world with their mouths, as responsible pet owners, it’s our job to ensure they don’t ingest harmful objects. Our article “My dog ate something it shouldn’t have! What should I do?” may guide on ways to prevent your pet from ingesting dangerous items in the future. Furthermore, understanding the signs that your dog has swallowed a foreign object can be found at “Foreign Bodies: I Think My Pet Ate Something It Shouldn’t!”
In conclusion, while it’s fairly common for pets to swallow foreign objects, quick intervention and observation are crucial to ensure your furry friend remains safe and healthy. You should always consult with your vet if your dog has swallowed a foreign object, displaying worrying symptoms, or if you are unsure about something. Remember, It’s always better to be safe than sorry when it comes to your pet’s health.